Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What if it had been you?

I read this article first thing this morning and it just about did me in.
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/oct/15/orphan-goes-church-and-asks-someone-anyone-adopt-h/
Wearing his only suit and with Bible in hand, Davion Only, 15, gets some last-minute help with his tie before walking into St. Mark Missionary Baptist church with Connie Going, his Eckerd case worker. (SHNS photo by Melissa Lyttle / Tampa Bay Times)
I'm not saying everyone is supposed to adopt.  Believe me I have my share of experience in the area, and I know God has provided for us thus far.  
BUT!!!!!
Do you think we weren't TERRIFIED to write that first check?  At the end of the day it wasn't cheap!  To fill out sooooo much paperwork and ask yourself questions about what kind of kid you are willing to take.  
Do you think we weren't like, oh yay, another training...another class...another book to read...yes please come inspect my house again...take my fingerprints for the gazillionth time woohoo
What I'm getting at here is that risk is always involved. Not just risk, but a mental, emotional, and sometimes physical workout.   
Aside from your pocket book, one of the risks involved is your comfort and your heart.
Anyone involved in foster care or adoption has walked quite a journey, I can assure you of that.  

I remember when we first met a few teenage girls that needed help.  I was playing the drums for worship at this youth group for troubled teens.  We started giving a couple of them rides to church.  We realized they are normal kids that had been really hurt by adults that made bad choices, and in turn made bad choices.  
Imagine that

My husband says to me one night, "They need help, and we are able to help".  Notice he didn't say he had some overwhelming urge or passion here.  Maybe more like a subtle tap on the heart, that I'm thankful to say he responded to...
Excuses aside, many of us are able.  Then comes the question
ARE WE WILLING?  
Are you willing?

What comes to mind.  What reasons/excuses can you come up with as to why you 'can't'.

I'll tell you some we talked through.  We have 2 young boys. (At that time.)  Will it be safe?
What about the process...sitting through training, getting licensed for foster care etc.  What about our home life?  Does that mean someone will always be there?  What if?  What if?  We could have easily listed 10 reasons why it was a bad idea and why we shouldn't do it.

Well, Josh told me that night he was going to pick up the phone the next day to call and see what action steps we could take to help out, purely out of obedience to the word of God that says take care of orphans.  He said if he didn't do it the next morning, we never would.  

He made that phone call the next morning.  It set us on course for all kinds of 'sacrifces'.  In the end I'm here to tell you we survived it.  And I'm here to tell you we are so glad we did it.  It opened our eyes to so many evils in this world. 
 It opened our eyes to all these somehow 
unseen kids 
that are DESPERATE for help.  

So today is meant to make you uncomfortable as you read this.  It is meant to have you ask yourself if you are willing or able.  

I'm not saying everyone should be doing foster care and adopting.  I am saying there is a role we all play in this thing called life.  We can either turn a blind eye, or we can take some sort of action and help in some way.

For me personally, I always think, any one of those kids could have been me.  Or you?  So maybe you were one of the lucky ones with parents that kept it together and raised you.  But what if you weren't?  Wouldn't you have wanted someone to step in for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment